What is Yoga Hygiene?

Art Credit:  taken from a piece in the New York Times May 25, 2021


Every morning I get dressed, brush my teeth, comb my hair, wash my face...  you know the routine.  Oh, and I say "I should take a little time to do yoga..."  


Well, that's about as far as that goes.  Confession:  I am a 500hr certified yoga teacher who has been doing yoga for 15 years and owns a yoga-based preschool and a yoga studio, and I don't have a morning practice.  Eek!  


Well, let me explain.  I'm a mom of two young kids, with said business, and my husband works 6 days a week for 12 hours or more at a time.  Now, I am NOT one to throw around the excuse of "I don't have time", but I (sort of) don't.  I say "sort of" because it's always a choice.  What is true is that I choose to use my morning kid-free time for reading and working which are two things that cannot be done with two littles around.  I'm efficient, so I intend to do yoga (and here, by yoga, I mean a movement, breathing and mindfulness practice, as yoga is a much larger journey than just what you see on the mat - more on that below) later while they're awake.  And frequently forget.  


I am quite forgetful, and 5 years of sleep deprivation and being a portal for two humans hasn't helped.  So I hacked my own psychology (your hacks may be different!) and decided on "yoga hygiene" to keep up on the physical side of my yoga practice. 


So what am I calling "Yoga Hygiene"??  Hygiene is that thing you do for your health - usually daily - that you don't have to think about.  You just do it. Since I don't question whether to brush my teeth each morning, or wash my face or drink my hot lemon water - as I consider these basic body care techniques - I decided to throw in a VERY short yoga practice as well.  One that is as necessary for my body's health as water.  


Somewhere in the midst of my morning routine, I will do a simple stretch or two. In my jammies, without even unrolling my yoga mat.   And that might be it.  Or I might do more.  The beauty of this concept is that it creates a space holder in my day that reminds me that I do that thing called yoga. 


Some days I just breathe and stretch my arms to the sky, then hang in forward fold and completely let my breath empty with a sigh, settling into the melting that comes with time.  I often move intuitively, allowing movement to arise from my center, as that wisdom is just what the body craves, and therefore healing (so this feels better and accomplishes my "yoga" quicker, and I love efficiency!)   Other days when I feel spacious and my body craves more, I throw in a lunge or a cobra too, or I may even get out my mat.   Did you know that sun salutations work as a lymphatic pump?  Movement is SO necessary to keep us healthy!   A little can go a long way - a simple sun salutation may take 45 seconds and remind you of the consciousness of your whole body - not just the mental side of your experience.  


Yoga in a skirt?  Preposterous.  There may never be the perfect time or place...




I spent a hot second feeling pretty guilty that I didn't "do yoga" every morning anymore.  I had nailed my morning routine right before my first child was born, 5 years ago.  It was incredibly nourishing and most importantly I looked forward to it every day.  I know that I could find a way to bring that back in, but instead, I am flowing with, respecting and learning from the changing seasons of my path of yoga at this point. 


In fact, it's sending me deeper than ever into my exploration of yoga and mindfulness.  Try staying "centered" (observing with equanimity all of the thoughts, feelings and sensation coming in) in a dimly lit, soothing yoga space - not too bad.  I got this.  Try again while my kids and I ALL become over-hungry and I forgot (again) that dinner is a thing each day so I'm scrambling to find us some semblance of good nutrition when it really should be bedtime.....  Now that requires skill.  :)


My yoga practice has shifted over the years, which is useful as there are many ways "in" to the knowledge of you at your core (one way to describe the purpose of yoga).  In my 20s I went through a hot yoga phase and was running a lot.  I felt strong and capable which coincided with learning who I was.  Later, when panic attacks threatened my sense of stability, I did goat pose and meditated while walking barefoot down the sidewalk in front of my house. And I am intending to deepen my intuitive skills when I am more firmly in the "vata" (wind energy in Ayurveda) phase of my life. 


Now, my practice is presence and awareness.   As so much of my time these days is taken up with the mundane (laundry, diapers, dishes, food, spills - repeat), not to mention the constant interruptions, I realized I could either hate every second and find myself bored and hungry for more, or I could  - at first out of a desire for efficiency - meditate (or be mindful) while I do all of it. 


So when I walk back across the house to get the thing I just went over there to get 10 seconds ago, I breathe in and nourish my every cell with prana (an ancient sanskrit word used in yoga, meaning life force energy) and I adore the ability I have to walk, all while noticing the way I am a continuous being flowing through time while each foot touches the soft carpet... then the hard squeaky floor.   


When I'm interrupted by my second career as poop doula (somebody else brilliantly coined this term, and I can't remember who!) and I need to hold one of my kids' hands while they poop (how did this happen), I feel, from the core of my being, the delicate bones and soft skin in their hands and look into their bright, loving eyes and just sigh and appreciate.  


And when I find things not to be so beautiful, I watch and observe all of the gears of life turning, without their oil, and practice simple, soothing awareness.  I notice it and accept it all.  I do not say "I accept this, let's make it a regular occurrence", but instead I avoid the need to change it - as a first step.  I am brave and still.  I watch with mindful curiosity, patience and deep compassion.  I let my quick, efficient, problem-solving mind take a back seat and I just sit with what is.  


And my heart blossoms from my practice more than any structured yoga practice I could have ever done.  I find that I can love the hard, clear glass of the window I'm cleaning just as much as I loved gazing down at the sacred valley in Peru.   The answers have always been inside of us.  


Someday I look forward to the structure and deep earth lessons I receive on my yoga mat, but for now I'll let my heart fill with the giggles of my 2 year old, enjoy the warmth of the hot water while I wash dishes and make sure I get a few stretches in to keep my body feeling good. 


Enjoy the views, wherever you are.  <3


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sensitive Souls

Yoga & Mindfulness with the Littles

Rethinking Yoga